Yesterday and today were the big garage sale days at my moms house, back in IL. From the time I was a kid, garage sale weekend was a family affair right next to Christmas and Thanksgiving. My Grandma ran the show. Her money bin was a 8 count muffin tin. Seriously. I thought she was a nut, but as an adult I see her wisdom. Wish I still had the tin muffin pan she used, but I think we might have accidentally sold it one year. Sorry Granny.
My sister and mom reported that the garage sale was great. The weather was perfect, and of course my mom's place always draws a crowd. She lives on a wide, busy road, with plenty enough room to park. Even just cleaning out the garage draws a crowd thinking it's a garage sale. This year, there was an extra special reason to have a sale. This garage sale has been a labor of love for my mom...she is a die hard Grandma. Before we had officially 'let the cat out of the bag' about Evan's adoption, she had his picture printed and on the piano along with the rest of the grandkids! She has been talking for months about this garage sale! Thanks mom...or rather Kayak Nanny!
My mom donated all of her proceeds to adopting Evan...AND my cousin, whom I'll rename, "Cousin Incredible" and brother in law, Ben ran the popcorn machine. They sold popcorn all day. I think Cousin Incredible and Ben make about 40.00! My mom said that Cousin Incredible is quite the businessman!!
My sister said that many of the customers just placed money in the Evan jar, just to be kind. What a blessing to our family.


4 comments:
That is awesome. We had a garage sale this weekend as well. Unfortunately our weather was not as nice so we are going to have another one in a few weeks.
I may put up signs this time with pictures of Drew like your mom did. I love that idea.
Mandi
What a supportive family! Yard sales are a lot of work but I'm weird and think they are fun. I'm working on doing one as well. I hope it was prosperous for you!!!
oops I posted under a differnt entry - Cousin Incredible is pleased to be mentioned in your blog and he was happy to help sell (and eat) the goods!
You have a great family! It warms my heart to see how everyone is pulling together to bring Evan home!!!
Post a Comment