Craig and I met under unusual circumstances. He was a year post-op from a liver transplant for a rare genetic disorder, and I was a widow. He was 26 and I, 22.
A day or two after Anthony died, I was driving home from picking out the casket, vault flowers, (and all that fun stuff) and was thinking about what a great and godly husband the Lord had given me. He had been called to be a pastor, so we were preparing to sell our little red house and move to seminary school. Couldn't ask for better... So I told the Lord on the way home, that if He had someone picked out for me, GREAT, but he'd have to drop him in my lap, because I wasn't going to go looking for him. I believed I would be married again, and knew that the Lord knew exactly who he was. Why should I get involved and screw it all up?
A rabbit trail I should probably save for a Memory Box Monday or Miracle Monday post...but here goes:
Besides, two weeks before Anthony died, we had talked about the 'what ifs' in life. I was doing a unit on organ donation and transplantation in school, so the conversation was so very natural to have. We decided we both wanted trees over our graves, we were both adamant organ donors, and who we should marry. (Really, I should save this little story for another post, but I gotta keep going now. :0)) I gave him 3 people who he should marry. Nice girls. One of them is now my sister in law. He chuckled and said no way to each one. I asked him who he thought I should marry and his reply was simply, "God's Will for your life." UGH. What a wonderful, spiritual answer that I didn't want to hear. Oh, how prophetic it was.
Sure enough, Craig was in the same town, praying for a wife. Little did I know we had already seen each other. Anthony and Craig played basketball for "opposing" churches. I was doing my nursing school homework at the game they played against each other. I remember briefly looking up, and spotting some guy, #14 on the opposing team run full speed down the court. Didn't see his face, but thought, "wow, he's a fast one." hee hee. Come to find out, he spotted me at that game as well, and saw my wedding ring. According to him I was cute, but looked too young to be married, and he thought, "oh, well." Only God can do that! He never remembered Anthony.
We actually met through mutual friends. Anthony's cousin, Shelly and I were very close. She and her husband met Craig a few months preceeding Anthony's death. I never remember her mentioning his name or anything. One Sunday after church, I went home to change, and headed over to their house, as I always did on Sundays. (Shelly is a great cook, and Sundays were lonely, and their kids were great)
This Sunday was different. As I rounded the corner in my muddy green truck, there was a distinctly CLEAN white newer Pontiac parked in MY SPOT.
Oh, the gall of some people! So I park, get out and walk across the street and up on the sidewalk. As I approached Ethan (Shelly's youngest son at the time) and this guy, playing ball..my tummy rumbled...something was up. Then, I took a good look at him, OH. MY. WORD. It was HIM. At that point a furry of butterflies exploded in my stomach, and I ran for the front door! You know that feeling you get when you get pulled over? Yeah, that's the feeling, x200. I was also immediately attracted to him, for which I did feel a twinge of guilt over...I even looked back to see if I could get a glimpse of his heiney. Oh, shame! Shelly met me at the door as I was scratching fervently to get in. She ushered me back out where she introduced me to Craig. We met, and that sealed the deal. Once eye contact was made, and I shook his hand, I knew. It was HIM. Shelly knew too, and Craig, well, being the engineer that he is...he suspected.
During lunch, he mentioned that he was celebrating the first anniversary of his liver transplant. Praise the Lord! He knew my husband was a donor, and wondered if maybe I would help him write a letter to his donor family. He said he started a letter many times, but couldn't find the right words to say. After all, how do you thank someone for such gift, amongst the grief they bear? Of course I said yes.
I saw him two more times after that. On the second time, we ended up having the "talk." He had come over to my house for a 4th of July party. He was the last to leave, and as we sat on the front porch, the air was thick. Finally, FINALLY I looked at him and said, "you know, don't you?"
Not being a man of many words, he said, "yep."
So, I took the plunge, and said, "What's your last name?" After all, I kinda needed to know what it was since it would be mine. (Secretly, I wanted to be sure it wasn't something crazy like, "Starkenblat" or "Flatuanceia" as if it mattered at that point.)
And we've been living Happily Ever After.....


10 comments:
Your blog posts make me cry! What a beautiful story. Such a testimony of God's faithfulness. Thank you for sharing.
(and thanks for your email, too-- SOON you'll be leavin' on a jet plane!!)
I love your story! One night when I went to visit your mom and Craig was there, he told us the almost exact same version - it was so cool! And I have said this to you before: your marriage is inspiring!And see, yet another way my marriage has blessed me is the wonderful cousins/better than friends I got!
Beautiful Love Story.....
Happy Anniversary, Molly!!! I've heard bits and pieces of your story, but reading it all written out like that was INCREDIBLE!!! Thanks for sharing it all now and not making us wait until later. :) Big hugs!!!
How fun to see your face and hear your fairy tale all at once! A love story only God could write! Happy Anniversary!!!!
Oh Molly, what a beautiful story. I am in awe of your strength and faith. What an inspiration you are to me.
BTW, it was nice to finally put a face with a name.
Hoping for some TA news soon. Maybe I will have some news to share as well.
What a beautiful story of a happy "ending" and also a testimony of faith and hope through what could have been a definite "dark" time that you refused to see God's light! Thank you for sharing. You are such a light and inspiration. It is no wonder God has blessed you richly! I look forward to your travels to China to get Evan ... and hopefully maybe somebody else down the road** (okay, we all know who I mean, right?! I will continue to pray for his forever family to be prepared for their call.) It is so lovely to see such a wonderful photo of you and your sweet husband. I truly didn't know what you both looked like before. So cool to see your face to put it with your sweet words. Congratulations on the birthday of your marriage :-)
It was fun to see such a nice clear photo of you, Molly. It's strange to know so much about someone, pray for them regularly and call them 'friend' yet not know if you were standing next to them on the street!! ;) You are beautiful, and you and your hubby make an adorable couple! I love your story. I already knew bits and pieces of it... but reading it writting out in this fashion was amazing. I love how God-breathed your story is, and how He brought you and Craig together. Beauty from ashes. Only God!! <><
Happy 10th Anniversary, Sweet Friend! I hope SO much that we are able to meet in China. Yet I don't want to hold you up, either... I know your sweet little guy is waiting! Loved his update, too. He is such a smart and helpful little man, I can't wait to see him with all of you!
Blessings and Hugs,
~ Tanya
So glad you wrote this out--I really enjoyed reading it tonight. God's hand so intimately involved in your stories--what a blessing to be reminded of that in my own life.
Kelly
What a great "only God" story!!! Thanks for sharing! I really love hearing people's stories!
OK, so I too am loving the picture. You'll get a good laugh out of this: in my head, I imagined you looking like Mrs. Weasley from Harry Potter. I think because your name is Molly, I just planted a picture of her in my brain! :) So....I stand corrected....... :) You are much younger than Molly Weasley!!! :) (I'm laughing right now at how ridiculous my mental picture of you was!!!!!
Post a Comment