Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Masterpiece

Life with four kids is hectic and the small things tend to swept by the wayside...but I'm learning, those small things are what matters most...the hearts of the children and seeing what they see. And, more importantly, seeing them how their Creator sees them. A masterpiece.


"Lo, children are a heritage from the Lord..."


Most days, between the squabbles, it tends to be tough to see that. So, most days, I ask the Lord to "let thine eye affect thy heart..." I want to see my kids for the masterpieces that they are. I want what I see in my kids to affect my heart like nothing else, so that I'll do my very best at raising them to be and do what God has planned for their lives.


Sunday, I took Livvy to the store with me. In anticipation of sping, we purchased the ingredients to make 'birds nests.' You know...those crunchy noodles in the Asian food aisle mixed with chocolate and peanut butter topped with a jelly bean? Melt the chocolate chips, mix in the noodles and glop a bit of it on waxed paper, set the jelly bean on top and it magically becomes a birds nest. Olivia was SO excited to do this little project, but felt it necessary to make a mama bird out of pipe cleaners first. She insisted. I thought it was silly, until the Lord reminded me to let my eye affect my heart. How could she have a nest and eggs without a mama bird so carefully fashioned? Really? It's not silly to her, it was the most important aspect of the project, to her. Honestly, the most important part of the project to me was making as little mess as possible, so that my clean up job was less of an effort.

I'm pretty sure I just disqualified myself for the Mother of the Year award.

This morning, I was up early feeding the baby. Normally, I'm not downstairs in the living room, but today I was. As I was feeding the baby, I surveyed the mess in the living room. Or rather, the 'aftermath.' The kids like hiding spots, so they make forts out of anything, but the favorite materials around here are umbrellas. They were all there, still set up and ready to go for this morning's adventures. Our living room is small, and I was slightly irritated about all these umbrellas taking up space. The Lord convicted me about this...it's not a mess or 'aftermath' it's a waiting adventure. And, my kids are not 'taking up space.'



It seems like so many people feel that way about children these days. They take up space...too much space and you'll have to get a bigger car or house. How sad!

"Children are a heritage of the Lord."

So, today I just wanted to mention how absolutely thankful I am that I have these kids, even if it's not "Thankful Thursday" yet.

No comments: