
I have so much to be thankful for on this Thankful Thursday. Since it's the 2 year anniversary of my Grandfathers death...or rather PROMOTION to Heaven, I'll chat about that today.
My grandfather, who we all called Grandpa Pigeon because he had racing pigeons, was a stubborn, crabby, short-tempered old man. He always thought he was right, a fierce democrat, (I am the black sheep in the family) and loved his grandchildren with a love stronger than his will.
I was his favorite. Everyone knew it. My sisters can debate all they want, but it's the cold hard truth. He called me "#1".
I was blessed to have spent a lot of time with them, growing up and in my adult years. Before the kids were born, I did their laundry each Saturday morning. They required me to do their laundry at a certain laundry mat they had been using for 35 years. I really enjoyed it, all the while wishing I was the one who owned the laundry mat. My favorite part though, was hiding a tract somewhere in my grandparents clothes. Some weeks in between the stacks of underwear, some weeks in a shirt or jean pocket, and some weeks right on top! It was almost a game. I would occasionally forget, but my Grandpa would always remind me the following week that I had forgotten my "Jesus pamphlet" or whatever he called it that week. With that reminder, I'd get a smile and a wink. I never knew for sure if he read them, but I do know my Granny did. She 'hid' all things special under her blue, pot-holder like place mat. Sometimes there'd be so much stuff collected, it would be a small hill.
For about 3 years or so, I did their laundry, and for three years they got every tract our church had, and then some!
I also enjoyed feeding his birds. In his later years, he always seemed to have some form cancer. Funny how it always seemed to be during the coldest time of the year, and/or during mating season. Hmmmm....coincidence? So, Olivia and I would drive over each day to feed and water his racing pigeons. Truth be told, we loved it. She so enjoyed feeding "Papa's birds". When spring rolled around, he always mustered up enough energy to mate what seemed like 400 more birds! Olivia enjoyed seeing the eggs hatch and how the pigeons grew. Poor Jack. He didn't get in on the action as he was just a few months old. He sat in is carrier in the house and was 'babysat' by Grandma and Grandpa. Jack kept them entertained with his bigger than life smile and dimples.

My Grandpa was fearfully and wonderfully made, but had some rough edges, called sin... Don't we all?
At 82, he felt he could take on a pack of lions and win, but he did not feel he needed the Lord to secure his eternity in Heaven. However on a late May day in 2007, he was once again shown the Gospel, and by God's grace, understood that he really did need the Lord. With our Pastor, he bowed his head and accepted Jesus. *whew!* 5 months later, he peacefully walked into the kingdom of Heaven.
So what am I thankful for?
Most of all his salvation. He is proof that you must NEVER give up on praying for that one stubborn, and (seemingly) impossible person! But also, I am thankful for prayer that never gives up. My sisters and I never gave up praying for his salvation, and neither did our church family.


3 comments:
Both of my grandfathers got saved later in life...after years of "hard" living and refusing the Gospel message. I am SO glad that our grandfathers are up in heaven RIGHT NOW rejoicing, praising and serving alongside each other. That is TRULY something to be thankful for!
Your grandfather's story sounds so much like my garndpa's, the only difference is that I don't know where my grandpa is spending his eternity. As much as we talked he never let anyone in on if he ever became a follower of Christ Jesus.
On this Thankful Thursday I am grateful that you have the peace of knowing you will see your grandfather again some day. I can only hope.
Molly, I absolutely LOVE this story! SO cute how you snuck in those tracks, and how ol' gramps reminded you when you forgot!! I bet he read at least some of them. And I loved the part about your grandma's little "hill" stash!! ;) Too cute! What a blessing to know that he finally accepted Jesus and I can't think of anything better to be thankful for. SALVATION!! What a wonderful post!! <><
Blessings and Hugs,
~ Tanya
Post a Comment