Friday, December 25, 2009

God's Goodness

I love, love, LOVE decorating our Christmas tree. It is always a time of reflection on God's goodness, grace, love and complete faithfulness to me. Each ornament on our tree holds a special meaning. Every year, we purchase, make or inherit an ornament that has significant meaning for our family representing the year we have journeyed through.

This first ornament sits high on the tree...mainly so that it is out of reach of the little hands. This ornament was a gift to my late husband. He was a music teacher at a local Christian school. Though God has given me another husband, I love this ornament as it is a reminder of how faithful God is. He gave me a fabulous husband, took him home and gave me another. He is faithful in the valleys and on the mountains. Unwrapping this ornament always makes me so very grateful for my husband and children no matter what, because I know they could be gone in the blink of an eye. It also reminds me of how good God is. I'm so undeserving of what he's given to me.


My mother in law gave me this ornament tied to a wedding gift. I think this is Olivia's favorite. It's our wedding day!! I always wanted a fall wedding...and you'd think...but it didn't happen. However our wedding in March was beautiful and in all the pictures...it really did look like fall. This picture reminds me of a gift I receive everyday...the gift of my husband, Craig.



This next ornament is so very sweet. My friend Becky gave this to me for Olivia's first Christmas. She was an answer to prayer. For a long time we tried, and lost babies. God in his goodness gave us Olivia.





















I bought this one for Jack when he was born. I was and am still so thankful for this little boy. He has the best kisses and the most snuggles to give. This dainty little shoe doesn't quite fit his personality...he needs a torpedo. Jack makes me want to adopt every little boy in the world!!


















This one was last years...which was the first year we started homeschooling. God plainly called us (mainly me) to take on the challenge of homeschooling the kids. This ornament reminds me of his grace, so that I may have grace with my own children as I train them for him.



And then there is this year's ornament. While a roller coaster was fitting, every we looked in did not carry a roller coaster. Funny how I saw a lot of ballet pigs and bicycle riding crocodiles, but no roller coasters? Hmmm...... However though, this one was just right. It's an "e" for our new son Evan. The kids picked it out. Evan has been in our prayers and on our hearts and minds for the last year. It's only fitting to have a letter "e" to represent him. Evan is a picture of God's goodness in his own young life, and in ours.



Merry Christmas!!

4 comments:

Gwen said...

I love this post. Our kids receive new ornaments each year as one of our Christmas traditions. Thanks for sharing these beautiful ornaments and stories! (I especially love the little e!)

TanyaLea said...

This is great, Molly!! I need to pick up on this tradition more faithfully again... it has been a 'hit and miss' thing that we have not kept up with annually. But I do think it's a great way to reflect on all that God has done... it's like a special 'memory box' through the ornaments on your tree...makes Christmas that much more special! We did make buy and 'remake' a special ornament with Khloe's photo in it for our tree this year, as a reminder of all that God has done and blessed us with over the past year...and the wonderful blessing that is yet to come in 2010!!

Big Hugs and Wishes for a Blessed New Year!! <><

love,
Tanya

Tara Anderson said...

We have so many of the same special ornaments...weddings, babies, children we're waiting for...I think I would love your tree! :)

Lisa said...

I'm so with you on this! I see trees decorated in so many beautiful ways but my favorite by far are those with memories. I'm thankful that you shared yours. This years is such a treasure!