On Easter Sunday, we enjoyed an Easter service at New Day. Several of the American families were there. I guess that's when I realized that the work of New Day goes much, much deeper than foster a bunch of super cute orphaned children. What a sweet, sweet service held in the guest house. Afterward, we were invited to the Potluck. Once a month, on the first Sunday, (I believe) they have a potluck. Mostly western style dishes are served. We ate lickety split and left with our guide for the day, Sally, to the Great Wall.
It has been absolutely GORGEOUS in Beijing these last few days. Very mild and almost sunny! I'd like to say the children in the foster home (about 15ft away) and the birds wake us up, but that's not the case with jet lag. :0) We're up at 1 and 3 and 5....
The beautiful weather made for stunning views. The Great Wall is indeed great. While it's a pretty amazing piece of architecture, the stories behind it are incredible. It seems that being told/called to work on the Great Wall is almost a death sentence to the families. It equaled "instant widowhood" as the families knew their husbands/fathers would not be coming back when they left to go build the wall.
To get to the Wall, we had to ride these absolutely awful, death traps up the side of a mountain. The cable was so long, we could not see the end. I am not fond of any type of 'ride' where I am strung up with a cord. I'm glad I had no idea what was in store, or I would have never gone. Seriously. However....on the way down, we rode the toboggan. Now THAT was fun!! The kids would have loved it! We rode these little scooter things down the side of the mountain. They twisted and turned all the way down. You could control the speed as well. The kids would have loved to go on these.
After the Great Wall, we headed back to Beijing and met up with Kevin & Alicia (PT at New Day, teacher at the English school), as well as two other Chinese ladies from New Day. Usually they have a Bible study on the Sunday Evening, but since it was Easter, we all went out.
Yeah...it was sorta like the Christmas Story where Ralphie's family goes to a Chinese restaurant with the head of the duck still on. However, we did not have duck...that I know of. :0) There was a chicken foot in the soup. Once Kevin pointed that out...supper went downhill in a big way after that. Despite the weird food (sorry!) the conversation was sweet and filling to the soul. I can't tell you how neat it was to bow our heads and pray for our dinner in a public place in China. Despite how restrictive it is here...God's still #1, and He's definitely in China!
After dinner we walked through the streets to a market and into a store. It was interesting as they sold really nice clothing in one portion, and grocery items in the other.
It was a busy day...we had trouble staying awake, due to jet lag. Actually...both Craig and I are still trying to stay awake!
It has been absolutely GORGEOUS in Beijing these last few days. Very mild and almost sunny! I'd like to say the children in the foster home (about 15ft away) and the birds wake us up, but that's not the case with jet lag. :0) We're up at 1 and 3 and 5....
The beautiful weather made for stunning views. The Great Wall is indeed great. While it's a pretty amazing piece of architecture, the stories behind it are incredible. It seems that being told/called to work on the Great Wall is almost a death sentence to the families. It equaled "instant widowhood" as the families knew their husbands/fathers would not be coming back when they left to go build the wall.
To get to the Wall, we had to ride these absolutely awful, death traps up the side of a mountain. The cable was so long, we could not see the end. I am not fond of any type of 'ride' where I am strung up with a cord. I'm glad I had no idea what was in store, or I would have never gone. Seriously. However....on the way down, we rode the toboggan. Now THAT was fun!! The kids would have loved it! We rode these little scooter things down the side of the mountain. They twisted and turned all the way down. You could control the speed as well. The kids would have loved to go on these.
After the Great Wall, we headed back to Beijing and met up with Kevin & Alicia (PT at New Day, teacher at the English school), as well as two other Chinese ladies from New Day. Usually they have a Bible study on the Sunday Evening, but since it was Easter, we all went out.
Yeah...it was sorta like the Christmas Story where Ralphie's family goes to a Chinese restaurant with the head of the duck still on. However, we did not have duck...that I know of. :0) There was a chicken foot in the soup. Once Kevin pointed that out...supper went downhill in a big way after that. Despite the weird food (sorry!) the conversation was sweet and filling to the soul. I can't tell you how neat it was to bow our heads and pray for our dinner in a public place in China. Despite how restrictive it is here...God's still #1, and He's definitely in China!
After dinner we walked through the streets to a market and into a store. It was interesting as they sold really nice clothing in one portion, and grocery items in the other.
It was a busy day...we had trouble staying awake, due to jet lag. Actually...both Craig and I are still trying to stay awake!


2 comments:
Sounds like a fun filled day! Not really looking forward to the ride up to the Great Wall now that you said it was scary. Our kids are all looking forward to the way down though.
We did get TA yesterday so we should be right behind you.
I will not be riding any contraptions up the side of the Great Wall....I can tell you THAT for sure. I was nervous just looking at the pictures!
So glad to hear you had a wonderful Easter at New Day!!! Can't wait to hear all about Evan and Gotcha day!!!
Post a Comment