Sunday, April 4, 2010

Just A Little Something.


Today was a very big day. Seeing Evan fly by in his red cart was just a part of the picture. There's a lot of work to be done. A LOT. We attended Easter services here at New Day today. It was just like being back at the churches in Ireland...but we are in China instead. There's a difference between the cushy, well dressed, planned out churches in America and missionary-type churches. Though....I'm not an expert, I have just noticed this similarity.

New Day is amazing. Completely amazing. The only way I can describe it is: "This is the Lord's doing; it is marvelous in our eyes." ~Psalm 118:23

What a blessing it was to meet so many people, here for the same reason...farming. The westerners here plant seeds, and water and plant, and water, and sometimes get to pick that fruit of salvation. They say the Chinese people are hard...they think about everything. One of these farmers is a Dad. He's a dad to a few bio kids, and two Chinese girls, and a host of older orphan girls. We were talking to him today about this new facet that New Day was entering into. He and his wife have lived here for 6 years...and have been at New Day for 2. They have a heart for orphans (duh) but specifically the older ones.

The children here are no longer adoptable after the age of 14. So, from 14 until they are 18, they live in an orphanage. Seriously, that is sick. They receive minimal, if any education, and are totally unprepared to face the world beyond the iron gates of their orphanage. Once they are booted out, many employers will not hire them. Being an orphan does carry a stigma. They say it's not as bad, but it's still there. This family is starting New Day's Forever Home. This is a home. Their home, where they will school these girls, and train them and love them. Just what a forever family would do. They are easing the sting of being an orphan. They are looking for people to come along side of them. Financially of course, but money only goes so far. They need other families for these girls. You know...families like ours.

And...that's when I knew this was no adoption trip. (sorry mom) Of course we are here to get Evan, but this trip goes much, much deeper. I'm not saying we're moving or anything, but there is something here going on. Just a little something.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Hello again! I'm so excited for you guys to finally be with Evan in person! We really loved the family that you are referring to and Lydia played with their girls nonstop! I hope that a lot of people's hearts are open to helping with the Forever Home; maybe God is calling you and your family in a special way! Please continue to update us on your thoughts and feelings in this area! Blessings to all of you, Michelle

TanyaLea said...

I can't wait to have a good talk with you when you are back. And then again after we have made our trip there and back. I know God has great things in store and I look forward to hearing all that He is doing through New Day and in your own lives. God's hands are all over that place, and it's wonderful to see/hear! I love that the Forever Home is up and running, and I look forward to learning more and seeing it grow.

By the time you read this, you will be waking up to the day you get to meet all the kiddos in person...but most importantly...YOUR kiddo!! :) Can't wait to hear all about those first moments with Evan.

Love and Hugs to you both as you prepare to meet your precious son!

Blessings,
~Tanya

 Kelly said...

How exciting that you got to see your little Evan whiz by! I can't wait to read about your meeting. He is such a precious little boy!

I read a little about the Forever Home and think it such a blessing. I can't wait to hear how God is moving your family in regards to it.

As always, I continue to pray. Looking forward to reading about you meeting your new son in person!!

Kelly