While we met Evan on Monday...Tuesday was our official 'GOTCHA' day. Evan has been extremely well prepared for us. EXTREMELY. When we met him on Monday, he knew we were going to his house, and was waiting for us. :0) We were greeted with big smiles.
Gotcha day started early...early. Our driver met us at New Day at 5am. Still dark out. Just a minute or two after he arrived, the gates opened up and a single halogen light shone directly at us. We knew it was Evan. His foster dad was driving, and he was in the back with his foster mom. Not sure if Polly was there...but I imagine she was. It was too dark to see. Evan greeted us as mama and baba, just as he did yesterday. It was quick, and we didn't understand anything they were saying as we were the only one there that spoke English. However, we could tell they were OK with us taking him. It was painful. They hugged us both. She gave me some hot, HOT breakfast for us, helped us into the car and waived goodbye. As soon as Evan realized they weren't coming with, he started crying. Just a sad sort of moan cry. I can't imagine the magnitude that a birth mom goes through to relinquish her child. It was hard enough to watch a foster mom do it. Evan has had a lot of love and care over the last year. That was very apparent when we met him on Monday. I've never seen a happier child. An absolute miracle if you consider how he came into New Day.
Evan cried for about 20 minutes. He was comfortable with us comforting him. Occasionally the Chinese driver would say something to him in Chinese. We had sent him this crazy blue laughing shark for Christmas. They did not pull out the cord to make it shake and laugh in China. So, when we were at Evans house, I did. oops. He was FREAKED OUT by this shark. However, it intrigued him. On the car ride to the airport, he pulled the shark out. The three of us played with that. He wanted it to laugh, but wanted to be as far away from it as possible. It was actually pretty funny. He easily opened up to us. Much more easily than I thought he would. He definitely favors Craig over me. It wasn't all tears on the way to the airport. He did a lot of laughing over that crazy shark!
We drove into Beijing as the sun started to rise. It was barely up when we arrived at the airport. Our driver dropped us off, and pointed to where we should go. Hee hee. We got in and walked around, hoping to spot our guide, Cindy. (as if, right?!) She found us.
At one point while we were waiting, Evan fell down and bumped his head. This time he started crying. Evan has a very unsteady gait. He is always falling and has a hard time with stairs. He likes to be carried, and I can't help but wonder if he has vertigo. We'll get him checked out back home.
So, Evan fell, and was crying. Then he continued with the same cry he had in the car. People stared at us. It was weird. He had calmed down by the time Cindy, our guide came. She talked with him in Chinese and was surprised at how smart he was. Apparently Evan's speech isn't that great, but what he does say and do is extremely intelligent. He also understands very well, and definitely has his own mind. He is very happy and independent. He likes to do everything himself.
He did great on his first airplane ride! Nothing seems to really bother this kid. We 'won' on the seat belt thing. He stayed in it the whole time. He is a mover, and a bundle of energy. We have our hands full, that's for sure!
We've gotta run now, but I'll continue this post later. It is a very busy schedule for us here in Zhengzhou (jen-jow)


9 comments:
Oh how excited I am to finally see pictures of Evan with you!!!!
I cannot imagine how difficult it was for Evan's foster parents to say goodbye to him. It simply breaks my heart to even think about it.
Did you get a chance to see Drew at all???
Hugs and prayers,
Mandi
I was so excited to see this post before I turned in for the night. My heart is overfilled with joy for your family. What a wonderful day with Evan. I'm glad he is doing so well. The pictures are SO adorable!! I'm so happy to finally see this boy with his mama and baba. God is good.
As always, still praying.
Blessings,
Kelly
C~O~N~G~R~A~T~U~L~T~I~O~N~S on your new son "officially" joining your beautiful family!!! We are so very happy for you! Evan's beaming smile is absolutely PRECIOUS!!!
Thank you so much for taking a little gift over for sweet Polly, our sponsor child! Hope she liked the hair bows and dress! :0) Evan was THE BEST big brother to little Polly, and I know that she will miss him DEARLY! I can't wait to hear a little more about your time spent with Evan and Polly's Foster Family! A bittersweet visit, I'm sure! How can you begin to convey to them how very blessed these two children are to have had the love and care of this very special family to help them grow and blossom! Truly a miracle for both Evan and Polly!
Continuing to lift you in prayer as you travel and begin the wonderful process of getting to know your new son!
Blessings!
~Wendy
Praising God through tear filled eyes that you are there and he is in your arms!!! GLORY!!!! I'll be praying for your journey to be smooth and can't wait to watch you fall in love with him!!!
Like everyone else, I am so excited to see photos of Evan that YOU took! I can't wait to hear more details about your day and also about your visit with his Foster Family. I'm sure it was bittersweet, but also such a gift. Not only to you and Craig, but to them as well. I'm certain it helped their hearts to know he was going to such a loving home. They will remain in my prayers, as will little Polly, as I'm certain she will feel the abscence of her big brother for awhile. He was such a helper to her!
Praying that things slow down a bit so that you can catch up on some rest and really soak in and enjoy this time of getting to know your precious son. He is such a cutie and I love how his smile just lights up a room! Just the meer thought of Evan being in your arms and soon in your HOME brings such joy to my heart! I can't wait to see some photos of Evan with his new mama and baba in them, too!! *HINT*HINT!!! ~ I know, I'm shameless! ;)
Congratulations again, and BIG, BIG hugs to ALL of you!! :o)
love,
Tanya
Molly,
Oh this is so wonderful!!!!
Congratulations:-)and most importantly PRAISE THE LORD!
I've been catching up on your blog, and where you all are at in your journey so far.
I can't wait to see pictures of you all together. I'll be praying for EVERYONE during this transition.
Hope the jet lag is resolving for you guys...I don;t think I slept through the night until the night before we were scheduled to leave for home...LOL!
Sending you all love and hugs,
Tami
Congratulations!! I've been keeping up with you guys and I'm so happy for you. Evan looks so happy and aren't we blessed that our kids were so well prepared to join our families? God Bless and I can't wait to read and see more!
Tears of happiness over here! Congratulations!!!!!
HURRAY! We've been out of town for a week and just got home, so I'm catching up on your journey!
Beautiful pictures!!
Post a Comment