Saturday, April 3, 2010

"We're Here!"


Before I get to their post, I just wanted to let everyone know that this is Tanya posting for Molly. At the moment, they are unable to get Blogger to Work in China, so I am happy to help them out! They are, however, able to read all of their emails, so be sure to leave comments, as I know they will love hearing from each of you!! Now, onto what you really want to read ~ Molly's post!....

Never thought in a million years that I would ever fly over the Arctic Sea and Siberia, but we did yesterday! It was amazing to say the least. We landed in China safely and the flight was great. The first 2.5 hours went slow, but somehow it sped up after that. We traveled light. A backpack for each of us, then a bigger suitcase and two small ones. Both the small ones were carry on sized, but we did end up checking them. The heaviest suitcase weighed in at 43lbs....hmmmm makes me wonder exactly what I forgot. I tend to pack light...to a fault.

A Chinese driver and an American from New Day picked us up at the airport. There was a Jeep store next to Starbucks. I wondered if China had Jeeps, and sure enough they do. We did seem to stick out a bit, and were easily found. What an interesting ride back to the foster home. Talk about being a heartbeat away from Heaven! I don't think any driver in PA would have survived driving these roads...Chicagoans...maybe. Not only are there cars, but trucks, mopeds, people on bikes, etc. There are little dirty dogs wandering around everywhere.

New Day seems like a little haven of sorts. It was neat to walk in the back yard and see the play sets, scooters and ride ons that I have watched little ones play on over the last year. Quite surreal. Before it got too dark, we sat at the front gate and watched the traffic go by. Definitely not in America anymore. I am wishing I would have gotten Evan's foster mom those Columbia gloves I saw. I can only imagine what it's like to drive one of those bike things in the bitter winter. We both slept great, but I'm feeling a little 'slow' or absent minded, jet lag I suppose.

I noticed that people 'make do.' There is nothing 'new' here. Bikes are ridden with seats where the coils are popping through and all of the bikes look quite old. Very industrious people here.

I saw a few of the kiddos through the window in our room. It is on opposite a small courtyard. I can't help but wonder what Evan's foster family is feeling and thinking about right now. Obviously they have prepared him well. It was hard to hear that no one thought Evan was going to make it. And, that orphanages send all their most critical kids here. I knew that was the case, but to actually hear it is another. It was a very good and blatant reminder of how very much God loves the orphan. I have a feeling that this is not our last trip here.

Today we have Easter services, then a potluck after. We are going to see the Great Wall in the afternoon. This evening, I will get all donations a few of you sent ready for the kids. They'll get them tomorrow!! Can't wait! So many people have sent us things to bring to the children. It doesn't seem right that we get to be the ones to give the items to New Day.

Please pray for our health. All is well, and we'd like to stay that way. :0)

On the home front, it looks like our kiddo's are doing well. Olivia lost her first tooth! Mason helped his Uncle Donnie side a house. Both jumped on the trampoline. Please keep them in your prayers as well. We are expecting a rat to die while we are gone. Mary, thank you for being on 'rat burial duty.' Funny, how I didn't get a lot of volunteers to do that job, except you! :0)




7 comments:

TanyaLea said...

So glad that you arrived safely without any incidents and that you are staying healthy. We will certainly continue lifting you up in our prayers!

Enjoy your first full day in China. How fun to attend a special Easter service there...it is one you will never forget! :)

Only one more sleep until you meet Evan... we are praying it will be a blessed day for all of you!!

Happy Easter and God bless!! <><

love,
Tanya

Mandi said...

Oh I am so excited you made it there safely. I cannot wait to see you with Evan.

We are praying for you here and will continue to pray. We are also continuing to pray for Evan and his foster family. This is going to be difficult on everyone.

God is SO good

Mandi

Valerie and Jeff said...

I am so glad to hear that you guys made it safely! And I love the photos of the scooters at ND ... and the market/food stand ... and the snow-covered landscape from the air! Perhaps the only thing that could top all that AND to know that you will be meeting Evan tomorrow is to hear that you don't think this will be your last trip to ND :-)
That brings deep joy to my heart for the future!

Best wishes for a beautiful tomorrow! What a blessing in so many ways!

Give hugs to everyone,
Valerie

The Ferrill's said...

So glad you are there safe and sound in the New Day haven!
We are certainly praying for you, Evan, and his foster parents in the upcoming days of hellos and goodbyes.
Soak it all in, breathe deep, relish every precious moment. I know that you are!
Hugs and prayers from AL,
Laine

 Kelly said...

So excited to see that you arrived safely! I can't wait to read about your adventure and of course about meeting your precious little boy. Enjoy your time there. Will be praying for all of you!

Happy Easter!

Blessings,
Kelly

Jenna said...

YOU'RE IN CHINA!!!!!!! I started crying when I read about your arrival to New Day. I think you are the first family I have followed who is actually going to New Day!!!! WOW- it must all be surreal after all this time! I hope to stand at those gates someday- one way or another!!

Happy Easter! I can't wait to see you with Evan!

LOVE the picture of Siberia (I'm assuming). Very cool!!!! :)

Enjoy EVERY MINUTE of China! I'l be praying you stay healthy so you can!!!

Michelle said...

Happy Easter! Your descriptions bring back such good memories from November! I loved that room you guys are in! Enjoy every moment especially with Evan's foster family and all the other children. Please tell everyone we said hello and I'm so looking forward to hearing about the rest of your trip. Blessings to all of you!