Monday, June 21, 2010

Memory Box Monday: A Debt Free Adoption

I love these Memorial Box posts that Linny over at A Place Called Simplicity does. Memorial Box Monday is the day to step back, and think back to a time when God provided for you...when He "got your back," when He stepped up to bat for you. A Memorial Box is a real live object...a box, shelf or whatever that you can place an object in as a reminder of God's faithfulness. I personally don't have one yet, but alas, it is garage sale/flea market season.



Financial stuff is not my thang. That's why there is Craig, Yodlee, and Mint.com, right? I am happy with an allowance. Seriously. When you have a husband who knows oodles more about finances, why bother bucking the system he already has efficiently running? I can keep a list though. Not a balanced one, but a list. So, throughout the adoption, I sort of kept a list on all the little ways the Lord brought us the funds for this adoption.

If you remember, Craig received numerous pay cuts last year. The first in January...10%. Then it went back up in April, then back down by 20% in June. Then the 'bonus' was gone, which accounted for about 10-15% of his pay. The last two pay cuts were not restored. I should also mention that ALL of our insurances went up in cost, a few by 20% or more. Despite all of this, we were just thankful he still had a job as more than 50% of his company was laid off.

What a year for the Lord to call us to adopt. He knew what was coming, and it's a good thing we didn't! Where God guides, He also provides. If you are wondering if He's guiding you to a 45 day luxury cruise around Europe on a 1st class ocean liner, and wondering how He'll provide....ummm, don't bother. However, when He guides you to adoption, He provides. That child is His and he wants to share him or her with you. What an honor! I can't think of any better honor than that.

I wanted to share our list. Here is a list of all the ways the Lord provided for our adoption. There could be more that I forgot, and not being the meticulous accountant person...I didn't keep track down to the cent. However, it's pretty impressive how God provided for Evan to come home, especially in the most financially devastating year of our lives.

500 A anonymous family from church...still don't know who gave to this day!
200 money given for our on line education
195 someone gave us their tax return
3600 Craig's adoption benefit from work
510 someone sent us jewelry to sell
100 friend gave us some furniture sell that they no longer wanted
50 8 year old cousin sold popcorn at my mom's garage sale
425 The bake sale.
414 Marathon Mary's 26 mile Chicago Marathon
75 selling off some old baby stuff at a consignment sale
484 From a Pampered Chef fundraiser that two ladies I had never met hosted for Evan
50 From a family I've never met in Florida
100 From a family I've never met in Canada
260 From Misty, Alicia, Lisa, Jody & Denyse
170 Our yard sale fundraiser
1100 From the Crop (Oh, I never even blogged on that! That was FUN!!)
1835 A friendly woodland creature...can't really go into detail on that one! :0)
4000 AAC Grant (it was 2000, then it doubled...only God makes stuff like this DOUBLE)
200 A dear adoptive family
3500 Steven Curtis Chapman Show Hope Grant

Total: 17,354 (did I do my math right?!)

That is a substancial number...something to write home about for sure. It means all the more because it's a substantial amount of the adoption expenses. The expenses totaled (with travel) about 23,000 or a tad more. So, yeah, I'm saying we 'paid for' about 6,000 of Evan's adoption. That's HUGE. That's God showing up for this adoption.

When Craig took his new job, shortly before we traveled, he was given a very nice sign on bonus. What expenses we had remaining, we were able to use part of this money to take care of them.

Now, don't get me wrong, we weren't living high on the hog just waiting for God to supply. We don't have cable tv, and our cars...well...they do still run, and are prayerfully held together. No vacations for us...not even a 'weekend.' It's not like I was at the mall shopping for a new wardrobe for Evan, leaving the financial details to the Lord. We did our part, and God totally showed up.

Our adoption is paid for, not a cent of debt. It wasn't an easy walk of faith but when is faith ever easy?!?!?

If I had a memorial box, truthfully, I'm not sure what I'd put in it, but I'm sure something great will come along. It always does.

7 comments:

Mrs. Winn said...

Molly- I SO needed to see this! Deep in my heart I know that He will provide now that we have answered the call, but we too are in the most difficult financial season of our lives. Does it make a bit of worldly financial sense to adopt? Not a bit. Is it His timing? We feel He has said it is. This list is so encouraging!!
~Maybe take a check book register page and write all thsi down for your box.

Love Evan's smile :)
~Kelly

Tara Anderson said...

God is good!!! You're story is so encouraging...God IS in the financial details of bringing His children home! Whoo hoo!!!

Renee said...

Coming over from Linnys blog.....Great post sharing how God works out our financial details no matter what....and sometimes it is for a vacation....as I wrote about on my blog today! Did not ask for it, but it was amazingly provided after the fact....Blessings!

Elaine said...

I'm over from Linny's blog. We too have answered God's call to adopt - 3 times - 2 of them were "heart" babies that required open-heart surgeries. We're always amazed at God's provision! Thanks for the encouragement and for sharing your story!! That's definitely one for the Memorial Box!

Jenna said...

A-MEN. It is SO true!

LOVE the list- what an amazing thing for Evan to have as he grows- a true testament to what God did to place him in his family.

Goodness and Mercy Mom said...

Just beautiful! Thanks for sharing the details of how God specifically provided for your adoption. I'm so glad that you explain that you were also doing your part--being obedient stewards with what God has given you. (Sometimes it seems people just expect the manna to fall from heaven without the wandering in the wilderness.)

May God continue to provide for all your needs even now that your sweet Evan is home.

God Bless,
Kathie

Gwen said...

Adoption is a leap of faith on so many levels... and the process was truly another testament of God's faithfulness.
So many miracles and blessings--- thank you for this beautiful post!!!